In this three-minute read, we examine the dangers posed by carbon monoxide.
We recently read a statistic about carbon monoxide detectors that left us scratching our heads. According to the NSAI, a whopping 55% of Irish homes do not have a carbon monoxide alarm.
Did you know that by law, any room in a rental property with a solid fuel-burning device or a gas appliance (such as a boiler) should have a working CO alarm? You can find the minimum standards required in an Irish rental property here.
These rules are there for a good reason – carbon monoxide poisoning can cause severe illness and even death. There’s no excuse for complacency.
Carbon monoxide (or CO as it’s chemically known) is a by-product of burning fossil fuels. When fuels like gas, oil, charcoal, wood, or coal fail to burn properly (a process called incomplete combustion, caused by a lack of oxygen), carbon monoxide is produced.
Exposure to it is hazardous to humans and animals.
You can’t see, smell or taste it; hence its nickname, the Silent Killer. To keep safe, you need to ensure carbon monoxide alarms and fuel-burning appliances are in good working order.
Good ventilation is crucial, too. Blocked flues and chimneys are problematic, as are poorly fitted flues.
Other warning signs include:
Signs of CO exposure include vertigo, tiredness, nausea, headaches, chest pains, and blurred vision. The affected person may slip into a coma and then die. The HSE says that on average 6 people die from CO exposure every year.
For more advice about keeping your tenants safe and staying on the right side of the law, contact us here at Liberty Blue.
Cormac Finlay on Friday, January 28, 2022 in blog, Dungarvan, estate agents, Landlord, liberty blue, property advice, Property News and Advice, property rental, renting, Waterford
Pagespeed Optimization by Lighthouse.