Sellers frequently ask us for advice when it comes to selling their home. One question often asked is how best to sell a property when there are pets. For many people – a pet is an integral part of the family unit, but not everyone feels the same about our four-legged friends. Not every buyer will love your pet as much as you do.
1. Repair any damage caused by pets. This includes carpets, flooring, walls, furniture. If there is damage externally such as doors that are scratched, you may need to sand and paint these. Your home is not ready for viewings until these issues are resolved
2. If the carpets have pet stains or odour, it may be worth replacing these if they are beyond professional cleaning.
3. If you have a dog that enjoys the garden and a little digging, tidy it up. Fertilize the grass and in no time your lawn will be healthy and green.
4. During viewings ensure your pets are not in the property. For those who have reptiles, albeit they are in a house, they may potentially frighten a buyer.
5. Now to the power of cleaning. Potential buyers may have allergies, so it is important to give your property a thorough clean and hoover before viewings. We often don’t notice a regular odour in our home, so it is important to use air fresheners and allow plenty of fresh air in. Smell can have a significant effect on us, and you don’t want to lose a sale because the pet odour in your home left a buyer feeling negative. Use fabric spray on couches, cushions, curtains, and all other soft furnishings.
6. Ensure pet toys, feeding bowls and your pets bedding is removed prior to viewings.
If you need help or want to know what your property may be worth, click here to get in touch (and receive your very own free sellers guide) by signing up here
For more property related news and advice click here
Thanks for reading,
Maria Clifford – MIPAV TRV MMCEPI
Cormac Finlay on Wednesday, March 24, 2021 in auctioneers, blog, county waterford, Dungarvan, estate agents, liberty blue, property advice, Property News and Advice, sell quickly, sell your home, Seller, staging your home, Waterford